Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cultured Indeed

So I guess it's time to update... senior year has definitely been taking up a lot more time than I expected, and I haven't really even gotten to college apps or studying for the SAT II in October. But those will wait until at least tomorrow. I've had a number of things in my mind that I've wanted to talk about, but they're all pretty long. Perhaps tomorrow? Perhaps the weekend? Perhaps later tonight when I get bored of doing homework? Only time will tell. But to tide you over (since so many of you depend on this blog to make your day), I will put up a paragraph that I wrote in Literature after an Odyssey quiz a few weeks ago. Some background: After staying up reading The Odyssey for four hours late last Thursday, I came into Lit expecting to ace the reading quiz, only to fail miserably. As i dishearteningly filled in guesses to questions that I should have known, but could not remember, Mrs. Head told the class that after finishing we will be writing a personal essay, which is like a practice college essay. Here is how I write after giving up on school.

Prompt: Describe three aspects that define you.
My 3: intelligent, cultured, faith (this paragraph is just on "cultured")



I like to think of myself as a cultured man. Politics, the economy, satire; all are things I have become acquainted with. I like wry humor with my lox bagel, thank you very much. A touch of sarcasm with the world news is greatly appreciated. "As the man sits yonder, sifting through the memories of the life he once led, but now follows, a golden eagle flies overhead, but to no unsuspecting eye. 'Tis indeed the life of the modern farmer." True, True. But alas, often times my wit abruptly comes to a close when those near me fail to comprehend it. It is in these times I come to see myself as above my peers, and yet oddly below them, for they are not weighed down by the troubling thoughts of reality. A paradox indeed. But fear not, for in a scant 300 days I shall find myself in a university, the gated community of education. The place where books are written, not read. Where discoveries are made, not modeled. I shall suckle the teat of wisdom, waiting for the milk of knowledge to refresh my parched throat of curiosity. For it is here that I receive infinite amounts of time to dedicate towards such paramounts as writing awkwardly vivid metaphors and conceiving made-up quotes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR PARAGRAPH! suckling the teat, lololol, a paradox it is. I did not really see how the paragraph had to do with culture, though. And damn it, you should have aced that quiz because you read it!