Hooray for the first post! Yaaay. Ok, time to do some serious writing down of thoughts while i don't do homework. Senior year, i blame you. Anyways, so how many people know that the democratic national convention is going on today? And tomorrow? I'm sure at least four of you do (out of zero readers... don't ask me how that works). As we all know (in this case, we = me until i tell people that i wrote this), Barack Obama is the democratic nominee for president. But how did he get to be that? He was elected to the Senate in 2004, so does that really give him enough time to figure out how to lead the free world? Many people (at this moment, 42% of the voting population) seem to think so. And exactly what makes everybody love him? Has this school always been ridiculously democratic (party) and i just haven't been here long enough to know that? I know most people don't like/ hate/ plan for the glorious demise of the Bush Administration, but I would have thought that would just increase the dislike of McCain. Just because someone really hates pepsi dosn't mean they swear by Coca-Cola (although maybe they would if they were running for president, so I don't know). But whenever I ask people why they like Obama, they don't say that it's because they dislike McCain so much that they would vote to keep him out of office. They don't say it's because they're part of the Democratic Party and they're just voting for their party leader. Considering about 85% of the school will be under 18 at voting time, and probably only about 50% of those 15% will be registered, and only about 75% of those people will actually vote, we are looking at a school-wide voting population of what, like 50 kids? I didn't do the math, so sorry if that's wrong. But it seems that everyone who is crazy about Obama is underage, and most aren't even self-proclaimed democrats. It all has to do with this revolutionary idea. What is it called again? Oh yea.
Ok, change. Sweet. Change. What does that mean? Who knows. Change. Just saying makes me want to get up and go start a rally for Obama. Well, not really. But for some people I guess it does. What is it with young people and change? is the present really that bad? Haha I'm listening to the song "Belong" by Remy Zero and right as I wrote that the word "change" was sung. Coincidence? Well, yes, but it's still pretty cool (but the whole line is "all these things I hoped would never change", so not really at all. One day, I'll have a profound coincidence). Anyways, back to change. Why do the youth love it so much? Is it just the embodiment of our culture, the thought that it is our place in the world to right every wrong (also: to write every wrong. Foreshadowing for "'Don't Taze Me Bro!': How to Invigorate Millions of Americans Without Leaving Your Computer"), to go out and find injustices and bring them to justice (for lack of a better word)? Is it that people, especially young people, will always believe that there is something better around the corner, and that if the world can just struggle through the present time then they will be rewarded? If you don't think this applies to you, then think about what Heaven is. I'll wait to let that sink in. ...... ok. Apparently in that sense, the entire world is the Bush Administration and death would be January 21, 2009. Hahaha I guess that would mean Obama is Jesus. But back to my point. We are brainwashed as children into believing that change is almost always a good thing, because no one can be perfect and change will always bring someone closer to perfection (math analogy: life is an Tan^-1 graph, and perfection is the asymptotes. The more changes you make (the higher the number), the closer you will be to perfection. But perfection can never be reached! [guess who reviewed trig today?]) Ok, maybe that last statement was a little extreme, but I often feel like I have to make hard-lined statements these days, but I don't really have any. Speaking of "hard-lined", let's talk about Obama's platform. Or lack thereof. Maybe it's better now, but most people I ask have no idea how Obama feels on most issues, except that he's going to change them. Case-in-point: Sandeep last year.
Sandeep: I'm definitely for Obama. We gotta change politics and get Bush out!
Me: Sandeep, if Obama was elected president, what would he change?
Sandeep: Politics!
Me: .... Ok, well how would he do that?
Sandeep: Uhhh... I don't know, but he will.
Me: What is his plan for the economy?
Sandeep: ...
Me: What about for developing alternative energy?
Sandeep: ...
Stephen Lee: *laughs*
I know, people, that Obama now has plans for these things. But do you know them? Do you really care about how Obama is going to make the economy better? Or do you just care that he is going to change it into a better economy? Think about it.
That comes to another point: Since when has becoming a presidential supporter become such a bandwagon activity? Is it really that exhilarating to have Obama stickers on you facebook profile? I guess people are just really excited about Obama? But I still feel like I'm missing some link in the chain that would make everything sensible. At least some people feel the same way that I do, but I don't want to reveal names due to potential political sensitivity (you know who you are). But it seems the overwhelming consensus is that being an Obama supporter is the right thing to do, because it means you are taking a stand against all the bad things the Bush Administration has been doing. It has now become cool to be an Obama follower. Which really means it is uncool, because so many people are doing it. You should want to be someone who goes against the crowd (which is now focused on doing everything non-mainstream), because then you're doing something that no one else is doing, which is considered cool. Become anti-non-mainstream, the new sign of coolness! Now that's change I can believe in.
So, what have we learned? I'll tell you. Not much. I'll write this, and people will read it, but will it really change any one's opinions? If anything, it'll make people start researching Obama more. Perhaps the greatest tragedy for McCain is the ridiculous amount of media coverage given to Obama (in this instance, I consider myself part of the media... I love subjective words). Or perhaps it's the fact that he's like 150. Or that he is trying to succeed a universally hated President with whom he shares many views. Or that he mixes up words a lot. Or that many of his policies make no sense at all (I'm looking at you, gas tax holiday). For whatever reason, most people seem to not like him. And yet, he's tied with Obama in the polls. How is the even possible? Can the Midwest seriously be that racist? (Did that cross a line? Sorry, all you Midwestern readers [note: in the future I expect this to be read by everyone in the world, so I might as well start planning for it now{side note: can Midwestern people even read? Oops, another line}]) I guess when it comes down to it, an old white protestant man is all the change we are ready for.
And for many of you that support Obama because you agree with his policies, not because he represents change, this article isn't intended for you, so sorry if this offended you. Although at least a few of you who think that you do probably don't, so maybe think a little more about why you support Obama.
Also, I don't support McCain. Sorry if you guys thought that. I just watched the South Park where the voting for the new school mascot came down to a race between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich, and Stan kind of represents my view when he says "I just don't see the point in voting if you have to choose between a giant douche and a turd sandwich". Although I don't actually feel this way about the candidates. Just about the not really liking either of them. Oh well. It doesn't matter. How are you supposed to end these? Like this I guess.

1 comment:
I completely agree with you! I hate it when people talk about stuff they don't even know about! You know I get pissed about that when it comes to music too, right? LOL, and also, whenever my parents ask me who I support, I never say anything subjective because I KNOW that I know very little about the campaigns, so I hear you loud and clear. This makes me laugh because my gov teacher over the summer not only was black but also a big Obama supporter. And LOL at the midwesterners.
BLOGS FTW! <3
Post a Comment